Monday, March 05, 2007

Intangible Services

Many of my friends and colleagues tell me that , they grew up with the ambition of becoming a software engineer and there are many others who have landed up in this job without the slightest inclination towards it.

While I don't belong to the former group, I don't fit in the latter as well.
I was brought up with the idea that I din't have to be an engineer or doctor.
I remember when I was in 11th standard , how I wanted to hide from my dad the news that the dates of screening test for IITs were out and many of my classmates had already bought the forms.And once , at the breakfast table I blurted out the same unintentionally :( I was then scolded by dad for being negligent.
Subsequentally , dad bought the application form and got it filled by me , inspite of my utmost resistance(y shd I take this test when I don't want to be an engineer?--were the words I kept uttering all the time).
I also remember many of my classmates , opting for coaching classes (Brilliant tutorials)which could prepare them for many of the entrance exams.
I was considered one of the brightest students in the class but something in me stopped me from taking extra trouble for something,which I at that time felt , I dint want to do .
This was about 7-8 yrs back .Ultimately I did go for engineering and today I am working in a software company like millions of other people.

My dad is a doctor and has never used a computer in his life.Not that doctors are prohibited from using computers but it's just a matter of his personal choice and intiative. I had a tough time when we bought a computer for me and my sister's use in home 3 yrs back.I found it hard to satiate his inquisitiveness and explain him why 512MB of RAM is better than 256 MB and what is windows NT , what purpose does it serve and if it is there y cant he see it like monitor and keyboard;that too when it is so costly.

Some of my close relatives and my grandparents are just happy seeing me doing well for myself.But they also find hard to comprehend the kind of work I do and I am usually asked the question-what is it that you produce using a computer that you are paid so well?What actually is a software?
And I have been giving the same answer for ages .The simplest example I can think of is , automation of railway tickets reservation system in India :)
Even though I know , what millions of us do is much beyond that.

1 comment:

@nkur said...

Thats the way it is, things arent made by design all the time. Are they?